Tuesday, 18 November 2014

12 Uses of Coconut Oil and a Beginners Guide | Homemade Home


virgin coconut oil

Hello! So since I posted my essentials haul, I got a lot of questions about the uses and benefits of coconut oil. I'm sure a lot of you are thinking, is coconut oil really worth all the hype? Simple answer - yes. There are a million and one uses for coconut oil, but first lets find out more about it:

Coconut oil - What is it?

Coconut oil comes from the meat of the coconut being extracted through either a dry or wet process. Normally, it's in a solid state in cooler climates, but will melt on contact with low heat (such as the body). Be careful though because it will become liquid in hotter temperatures, as I unfortunately found out this summer when my huge bag of coconut oil melted in my cupboard and caused something of a drama! There are a couple different forms of coconut oil, each of which have different uses:

Virgin Coconut Oil

virgin coconut oil

This means it's been dry or wet pressed and the oil extracted, with minimal heat and without adding chemicals to the process. It's the most natural, and retains the most nutrients. Virgin coconut has that signature coconut smell that is just heavenly!
My Favourite Brands: Holland and Barrett Perfectly Pure, Tiana, Lucy Bee
Where to buy: Holland and Barrett (half price at the moment!), Real Foods, Amazon and in some larger supermarkets


RDB - Refined, Deodorized and Bleached

refined coconut oil

This means the raw coconut has been treated with either/both chemicals and heat, giving it a neutral smell. I find it slightly harder than virgin oil and it's useful for times you don't want the coconut smell (like in beauty products where you'll be adding essential oils). It's also significantly cheaper than virgin raw. I wouldn't tend to use this in cooking because of the treatments it undergoes, though you can get organic coconut butter used specifically for cooking that doesn't have the coconut smell or taste, but still retains the nutritional content.
Where to buy: Holland and Barrett, KTC brand from various supermarkets and Asian stores, or buy in bulk from wholesalers (like Soap Kitchen)

Fractionated

fractionated coconut oil
Anyone else think I need to place another order? Haha
Simply put, some fatty acid chains are removed so the coconut oil stays liquid in all temperatures. Again, I wouldn't use this in cooking as it's been treated, but it's useful to use in homemade beauty formulations that need to remain liquid (such as shower gels). 
Where to buy: Best to get from wholesalers (see above)

Coconut oil - 12 Uses

These are all ways I personally used coconut oil, though there a dozens more ways to make use of coconut oil!*: 

Food

Use instead of vegetable oil in shallow frying.

Add a tablespoon to smoothies to give a yummy coconut taste and add essential fatty acids

Use instead of (or in combination with) butter in baking - works really well in brownies!

Add a tablespoon or two to recipes calling for coconut cream/milk for a healthier option.

Add a teaspoon to coffee for coconut aroma and to introduce more good fats into your diet.

Add half a tablespoon to porridge.

Cosmetic

Use on skin straight from the jar when you're fresh out of the shower.

Blend with other oils and make your own body balm (recipe coming soon)

Use as mouthwash - sounds weird, but "oil pulling" is a great way to get rid of mouth bacteria - swill about half a tablespoon in your mouth for a few minutes then rinse.

Use as a hair mask - coat your hair in coconut oil and leave on from half an hour to 2 hours, before shampooing. Will leave your hair silky soft.

For very dry and Afro hair, add a few drops of lavender and rosemary essential oil  to your coconut oil and use a small amount on your hair daily. 

Add a tablespoon to your bath - aside from smelling great, it's super moisturizing - just be careful when getting out of the bath as it may be slippery!


*Some people use it in the oil cleansing method - massaging into your face to remove make up and to cleanse. I tend not to use coconut oil on my face, as it's pretty high on the comodegenic scale, meaning it's likely to clog pores. (I'll write a post about different oils and their uses!)

Do any of you guys coconut oil - what do you use it for? Also, what kind of posts would you guys like to see about homemade products - recipes, beginners guides? Let me know what recipes you want to see!

Drea xo

Where to Find Me!

Twitter | Instagram


Follow

43 comments:

  1. I plan to use coconut oil in fruit smoothies to reduce the peak in which the sugars burn. Love this post, I'll come back for reference when I buy my jar :)

    Hope xx
    hopecoyne.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Such a good idea! Definitely do come back and let me know if you try any of these other uses out! x

      Delete
  2. Oh wow I need to invest!! xx

    fashiontatt.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Firstly, I love how we are both Londoners! :)
    Secondly - your comment on my blog has absolutely made may day, so thank you for your sweetness! :)
    And thirdly, this post is the best! When I was making my vegan cookie dough bars - I had a recipe set aside to make some vegan frosting, but it called for coconut oil, however I was really hesitant to invest in any because its so expensive! But this post has really persuaded me to finally go out and get some, it seems like the fashionable thing to do rn!

    Nice to meet you and I look forward to following you :)

    www.tealightsky.com

    Tash x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're the sweetest! Buy some immediately so I can stalk your blog for recipes including coconut oil! x

      Delete
  4. Coconut water is my weakness! love how beneficial coconut is to the body. great post

    www.bumascloset.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have this oil and I absolutely love it! There's so many ways to use it.

    Anika May // UK Fashion & Style Blog

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been thinking about using coconut oil for a while but I just hate the smell and taste of it! If I can use it in cooking and it doesn't make everything taste like coconut then I'll be on to a winner!
    Cx
    charliedistracted.com / Bloglovin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should definitely give the coconut butter a try - it has no smell/taste of coconut at all! x

      Delete
  7. Yes coconut oil is the best! Such a great post love :) We nearly always use it for cooking, just made this tonight:

    http://cookieandkate.com/2014/spicy-kale-and-coconut-stir-fry/

    You should try it it's so yummy. I really want to try and use it to make brownies now too xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sara! Ooh I'm gonna try that recipe looks awesome! x

      Delete
  8. I had no idea you could use coconut oil for so many things! such a versatile product

    www.saltandchic.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. gosh, I never realised coconut oil had so many uses! I definitely need to get hold of some!

    Elesaurus | elesaurusrawr.blogspot.com
    Youtube - Eleanor Rose

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know what you use it for if you do buy some! x

      Delete
  10. I found this post so useful!! I love coconut and want to try this stuff out so bad! It's just so blooming pricey!
    The Pixie Cut | Cosmo Blog award winner

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely post, thanks for sharing! <3

    I have a new post up today, and I would love to know your thoughts:

    http://electricsunrise.blogspot.co.uk/

    x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh I'm also your newest follower! :D Look forward to your next post!

    http://electricsunrise.blogspot.co.uk/

    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Checking you out now x

      Delete
  13. I didn't know there was so many uses for coconut oil! this is such an informative post and I definitely need to get my hands on a jar :)

    Jessica
    the.pyreflies.org

    ReplyDelete
  14. This has made me want to go out and buy some coconut oil! I used to wear it as a hair mask years ago. Now that I know there's so many more uses, I'm definitely going to get some. It's a cheap alternative for so many things!

    www.thatsfetch.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely, I don't mind spending the money when I know I can get so many different uses from it! x

      Delete
  15. Thanks for this post! I've been reading up on oil pulling, and trying to find the best oil for it and coconut oil seems the best! For a long time I though coconut water, coconut milk and coconut oil were the same thing! I'm going to get some for my hair, but thanks for the tips on using it on your face! I've got oily skin anyway, so I wouldn't want to clog it any more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you liked the post, yes I think coconut really is the best for oil pulling, though you can use olive in a pinch. I love using coconut oil in my hair it always feel so soft and nourished after! x

      Delete
  16. I've never used the coconut oil. But I heard a lot of great things about it, and definitely have to try this, specially for my hair.

    thelesfleur.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely give it a try, it's amazing for hair! x

      Delete
  17. This is a really interesting post, I love reading in detail about oils and things. Shame I hate the smell of coconut oil!

    vvnightingale.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  18. I used my coconut oil as lotion, as makeup remover, and to shave my legs! Works flawlessly.

    polished.tv

    ReplyDelete
  19. Such a helpful blog, loved it!! I've just nominated you for the Sisterhood of the World Bloggers Award - Head over to my blog to find out more information!

    ~ http://lovehannahxoxo.blogspot.co.uk/ ~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Checking it out now x

      Delete
  20. I don't use coconut oil much but I hear so much good stuff about it - definitely want to try it on my hair :)x

    Jasmin Charlotte | UK Lifestyle Blog

    ReplyDelete
  21. I have never really used coconut oil, but read and heard so much about it!

    Much love xxx
    CHRISTINANISTA.COM

    ReplyDelete
  22. these tipps were sooo useful! I use it too but didn't know it all!

    What about following each other? I would really love to keep in touch honey!
    I just followed you, would be delighted if you could return the favor!
    xoxo Colli // my blog - tobeyoutiful // Bloglovin'

    ReplyDelete
  23. So useful! My roommate uses it as a deep conditioner every now and then.

    Chelsea
    Chowing Down by the Bay
    Bloglovin
    Pinterest
    Twitter
    Instagram

    ReplyDelete